- November 9, 2016
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Advanced Lab Safety – For Laboratory Inspectors, Lab Managers, Chemical Hygiene Officers, and Safety Professionals
This program exceeds the mandatory training requirements under OSHA (1910.1450(f)(4)(i)), Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories.
This course is suited to the Laboratory Inspectors, Laboratory Managers, and Chemical Hygiene Officers, Safety Professionals, Graduate Student/Intern Orientation or the EHS professional who wants to broaden their knowledge of laboratory safety.
This course will increase your ability to identify safety hazards in a laboratory and enhance your understanding of safe laboratory design and operation. The course will explore the different approaches for conducting laboratory inspections. First, the laboratory inspection checklist – Laboratory inspections are conducted annually to ensure safety and compliance with all applicable lab safety regulations and guidelines. Second, an advanced approach to laboratory safety inspections. The laboratory inspection is the safety audit of the conditions and operations that occur on a daily basis in the laboratory.
- Define the role of the laboratory inspector,
- Identify the key steps involved in laboratory safety operations,
- Describe the importance of applying process safety concepts to laboratory inspections,
- Review the steps involved in a laboratory operations,
- Identify the hazards associated with temperature, pressure, vacuum, pilot plant, unattended and working alone operations.
- NFPA 45 Requirements for Laboratories – Overview
- Laboratory Ventilation
- Temperature, Pressure and Vacuum and Scale-up Operations
- Scale-up, Bench top and Pilot Plant Operations
- How to Perform a Laboratory Hazard Assessment
- Process Safety for Laboratory Operations
- Emerging issues- Nanoparticles, and 3-D Printers
- Expanded Chemical and Biological Laboratory Inspector Safety Practical Workshop.
This course was presented at the 33rd and 34 rd Annual College & University Hazardous Material Management Conference held in Chicago and Miami with a rating of 4.75 out of 5.0. It was the highest attended and rated PDS at the conference.
- Thanks very much, Dennis! Your presentation materials and discussions were excellent.
- Very informative and I learned a great deal.
- Excellent job Dr. Terpin, especially liked the temperature, pressure, vacuum sections.
- The Laboratory inspector practical exercise was a great learning tool.
- Excellent Lab Safety Class taught by an instructor with real world laboratory and pilot plant experience.
- This class can save lives and reduce injuries.
- One of the best classes I have ever attended.
Your Instructor: – Soon to be retiring in Maui
A few of the organizations that Dr. Terpin has provided safety training to include: FEMA/DHS, Ford Motor Company General Dynamics, United States Navy, United States Army, United States Air Force, Amoco, BP, Exxon, General Dynamics, Motorola, Google, GlaxoSmithKline, MIT, Georgetown University, Virginia Tech. University of Colorado- Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Penn State University, Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Kent State University Geauga Campus, University of Washington Tacoma Campus, Bemidji State University, Dartmouth College, National Institute of Standards and Technology, University of Central Florida, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northern Illinois University, University of Toronto Scarborough, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Ecology Services, Inc., Whitman College, Brigham Young University, Loma Linda University, Texas A & M University – Corpus Christi, Université de Montréal, Oklahoma State, University of Houston–Downtown, Honolulu, Maui and Kauai Fire and Police Departments, Kona Community Hospital, Queens Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Straub, Tripler Army Medical Center, The National Safety Council, OSHA Training Institute, and over 100 businesses, colleges, universities, fire departments and governmental agencies throughout the United States and 10 counties.
Venue: Construction Training Center of the Pacific - Waipahi's Mill Town Center